Biblatex package has undergone a lot of changes as a consequence of its revision to version 3.0. The back-end namely
biber (the modern equivalent of BibTeX program) which is needed to exploit all the features of
biblatex has also been upgraded to a newer version with changes in the data structure of resultant bibliographic listing file. Both these revisions have broken the functionality of current version of
biblatex.4ht of TeX4ht bundle causing panic among
biblatex users, particularly, in the humanities world. This page in github issue tracker of
biblatex has a long exchange about the current issues. The noteworthy postings in this page are quoted below:
I use the current release version 2.9a with Biber 1.9. Of course I cannot be sure, but I wouldn’t have thought that the changes since 2.9a to the dev branch will have caused such a loss in functionality. When you say the .bbl file which contains the relevant information was loaded, did you make sure that it at that point contained all the relevant information – I’m not sure about mk4ht, maybe it deletes temporary files before proceeding; as I said above, with htlatex it works fine, did you try that? (
moewew: March 28, 2015)
I strongly suspect that if tex4ht adapted to the biblatex’s new .bbl format a while ago where labelname was explicitly resolved by biber, then the DEV version change where I removed this and now do the resolving in biblatex is to blame. Maybe you can check if tex4ht expects to find an explicit labelname field in the .bbl? (
plk: March 29, 2015)
The irritating format version is probably caused by the fact that the .bbl file changed in the meantime, since I’ve tried with biblatex 2.9a. Well, I guess we have located the problem. I’m not quite sure though what would be the best way to track down the specific change responsible for it.
The MWE of this bug report was only the beginning for me, so to speak. I have a quite long document which produces all kind of other biblatex errors when I try compile it with tex4ht. But since it relies on a version of biblatex-fiwi which is adapted to biblatex 3.0, hunting bugs becomes a bit difficult ATM. (
simifilm: March 30, 2015)
After evaluating the current version of
biblatex package and
biber generated output,
biblatex.4ht (package used by TeX4ht) has been modified to suit the current scenario. All 46 example files provided in the
biblatex bundle have been tested to check if HTML output comparable to PDF of the corresponding example files are generated and indeed preliminary tests proved to be correct.
An archive of all the examples in separate subdirectories with HTML, PDF outputs, auxiliary files written during various processes,
biber output, etc., are included in each subdirectory for users to see. Download link is given below.
The modified version of
biblatex.4ht is also provided as
biblatex-3.0.4ht which users may kindly rename to
biblatex.4ht before usage.